Thursday, February 23

THURSDAY'S CHILD is ...

... running out of layouts to show you.




Now these pics brings back memories - I created these art folders for Caitlin's twelth birthday last year. WHY? Because she has always wanted to be a fashion designer (well until she wanted to be an investigative journalist, marry a christian drummer and have three kids!!) ... so anyway, I bought a large, black, spiral bound art folder and an A2 sized, bright pink plastic art folio and altered them by cutting out copious newspaper clippings about young NZ designers, then using the packing tape method to make transfers, which I then stuck onto the gessoed & painted folders. Fantastic result but took ages. She absolutely adores them and uses them for drawing fashion designs and doodling.

We called her 'label 'TURTLECREEK' so she thought it was pretty cool to have that plastered all over her books. We had a lot of fun sneaking them past her at a Relax and Scrap - I think everyone at Kiwiscraps that Friday night, had a go at gessoing these folders in order to make her think they were for someone else!

Funnily enough, whilst she still loves designing clothes, she reckons that she is a crap artist, so will quite often just stitch fabric straight onto her nearest victim (usually Bianca), instead of drawing her designs down on paper. However, she still loves drawing intricate patterns to go on fabric - will be interesting to see whether her accademic side wins out in the future or her creative side ... in the meantime, she comes in really handy when designing layouts Lol!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these folders Ali, you did a wonderful job on them. I can imagine why Caitlin really treasures them.